Sweetie Bogan's Sorrow (Elder Darrow Mystery #5) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 5 in the Elder Darrow Mystery series.
- #1: In Solo Time (Elder Darrow Mystery #1) (Paperback): $16.99
- #2: Solo Act (Elder Darrow Mystery #2) (Paperback): $15.99
- #3: Burton's Solo (Elder Darrow Mystery #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Last Call at the Esposito (Elder Darrow Mystery #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Mickey's Mayhem (Elder Darrow Mystery #6) (Paperback): $16.99
Rasmussen Carter is grooming Lily Miller, a young jazz singer, to be a star. She's singing at the Greenwood-the new incarnation of the Esposito-now owned and managed by Baron Loftus, the nephew of Sweetie Bogan, an aging jazz diva. The night Lily debuts, Carter is stabbed in a fight by Sweetie Bogan's lover, Alfonso Deal-Jones. Lily then abandons Rasmussen Carter for Edward Dare, who promises to make her a real star.
Carter is killed in the hospital, and Marina asks Elder Darrow, now retired from the bar business, to investigate-since his pal and Marina's soon-to-be husband, Boston Police detective Dan Burton, is still jealous of Carter and Marina's brief fling. Deal-Jones is found beaten to death, and Burton discovers Alfonso was setting up a cocaine deal with Edward Dare, the lieutenant to a major New Orleans gangster, who also happens to be "death" on drug dealing.
On their own time, Elder and Burton must solve the murders of the low-rent impressario and the New Orleans gangster's right-hand man. Burton is sure there's a connection. And in the process, Elder discovers he may not be cut out for a life of leisure just yet . . .